If you read our post about New Year’s professional resolutions, you know that the goal of learning something new can benefit your career. By learning a new skill or topic that’s relevant to your work, you are advancing your skill sets, building your career portfolio, staying current and relevant, improving your confidence, and adding value to yourself as an employee.
Not sure where to start? Explore free online education sites like Udemy, Coursera, or Khan Academy, or take advantage of free course from universities like Stanford, MIT, or Harvard. Here’s just a handful of course topics that can make you a more valuable and knowledgeable employee:
- Public Speaking
- Project Management
- Leadership and Management
- Digital Marketing
- Graphic Design
- Foreign Language
Once you’ve chosen a course, make sure you’re prepared to succeed. Here’s a few tips to make the most of your online learning experience:
- Be realistic: Know what you have the time and energy to complete.
- Identify your learning objectives and goals: Decide what you want out of the course and how you will use your new knowledge at work.
- Make a study plan: Schedule time to complete coursework.
- Seek support from your employer: Tell your employer what courses you’re taking and how you think your organization will benefit from your learning.
- Participate in online discussions and forums: Get more out of courses by interacting with the instructor and other students.
Ready to learn more? Check out our Online Education Pinterest board for a collection of resources and articles about online professional education.